Researching across intersections of visual language, critical publishing, and digital media environments. Actively contributing to stanza – studio for critical graphic design & publishing (DK). Creatively co-directing fanfare – artistic research collective of interlinked communications (NL). Continuously learning – currently, as a research fellow at the London School of Film, Media and Design, UWL (UK).
- Unlearn, Display, ConnectTokyo Art Bookfair (JP)Curatiorial concept and artistic direction for country section
- Glitchy, Caring, TacticalA Relational Study Between Artistic Tactics and Minor TechPaper for APRJA
- Between Dog & WolfAmsterdam (NL), Copenhagen (DK), Milano (IT)Film and research of online conspirational climate imaginaries
- Overgaden identityOvergaden (DK)Visual identity and concept for contemporary art institution
- Wat nu, Koetsier?Museum of Communication (NL)Curatorial concept, creative direction and research of misused advertisement spaces
- Landscape with Bearde Appel Amsterdam (NL)Creative direction and visual identity for group exhibition
- Playground of the In-BetweenGraphic Days (IT)Concept, creative direction and visual identity for exhibition audioguide
- Parasite Dinerfanfare, When Site Lost the Plot (NL)Curatorial concept and artistic direction for dine-in duo shows
- fanfare inc. TransportationGraphic Design Biennial (FR)Research series on creative working conditions
- fanfare inc. ToolsManifesta 12 (IT), Its a Book (DE), Libros Mutantes (ES) , fanfare (NL)Research series on creative working conditions
- awɪ sɔː ðə saʊndGerrit Rietveld Academie (NL)Workshop on relations between space, sound, and design
- GlossyKrabbesholm (DK)Workshop on collective typography
- Designing DetourEindhoven Design Academy (NL)Workshop on mapping and neighbourhood encounters
- Nomadic B(oo)ksIED (ES)Workshop on space, books, and displays
- The Live ArchiveALT_CPH (DK)Sound experiement for instant archiving at art fair
- Art of Documenting Artfanfare (NL)Art direction and curation for research series on documentation
- From Elite to the StreetVan Gogh Museum (NL)Concept, curation, creative direction for exhibition intervention
- Making it workfanfare (NL)Conversation series on drives and struggles across creative collective practices
- fanfare displayTallinn (EE), Chaumont (FR), Leipzig (DE), Amsterdam (NL)Concept and construction of modular display system
- Flag dialogueCouncil of the European Union , Amsterdam (NL)Creative direction and writing for conversational flags
- Lunch BytesAmsterdam (NL), Zürich (CH), Washington, D. C. (US)Creative direction and visual identity
- Misplaced, disrupted, dysfunctionaltransmediale (DE), Digital Aesthetics Research Center, Aarhus University (DK), Centre for the Study of the Networked Image, London South Bank University (UK)Research presentation and writing contribution
Wat nu, Koetsier? is a three-year research project initiated with René Put and Celina Yavelow in collaboration with the largest Amsterdam newspaper Het Parool, inspired by conceptual artist Hans Koetsier’s collection of Advertisements (published 1969-1981).
The series proposes a research of contemporary graphic design and visual language, mimicking the objectives of the advertisement as a means of communicating ideas and ideals, investigating a connection to the daily news (printed and online) and, consequently, our society.
When the artist Hans Koetsier passed away in 1991, the newspaper headline read “Wat nu, Koetsier…?” (What now, Koetsier…?), lamenting his loss and the ending of his typographic invasions in the advertisement space of the paper.
“What now?” is the question we asked 45 prominent graphic designers and artists, offering them their own advertisement space in the newspaper of today.
Wat nu, Koetsier? is presented through a newspaper, website, exhibition, symposium, and 45 weeks of advertisements published in Het Parool.
Video: Celina Yavelow, Freja Kir
Newspaper ads: Het Parool
Website: Joel Galvez
Typeface: Avenir Rounded by Adrian Frutiger, modified by Celina Yavelow and Freja Kir
Symposium: Erik Kessels, Janneke Wesseling, Maria Barnas, Delphine Bedel, Jouke Kleerebezem
Experimental Jetset, Bart de Baets, Job Koelewijn, Lotte Schröder, Gaile Pranckunaite and Mislav Zugaj, Lesley Moore, Vincent van de Waal, David Bennewith, Elisabeth Klement, Jop van Bennekom & Wolfgang Tillmans, Adriaan Mellegers, Luuk Janssens, Job Wouters, Floor Koomen, Haller Brun, Meeus Ontwerpt, Janneke Hendriks, Richard Niessen, Lennarts & de Bruijn, Dirk Laucke, Roosje Klap & Merel Boers, Femke Herregraven, Navid Nuur, Studio Joost Grootens, Rustan Söderling, Kok Pistolet, Nora Turato, Machine, Rudy Guedj, Hans Gremmen, Thomas Buxó, Jungmyung Lee, Sandra Kassenaar, Werker, Moniker, Laura Pappa, Gilles de Brock, The Rodina, Carsten Klein, Remco van Bladel, Rebecca Stephany, Annelys De Vet, Koen Taselaar, Our Polite Society.
Wat nu, Koetsier? was made possible by the kind support of Stimuleringsfonds Creatieve Industrie and the Het Parool.